Museum Studies Program:
Date: May 10 & 11, 2012
Location: Whitney Pier Historical Museum, 88 Mount Pleasant Street, Sydney
Facilitator:Karin Kierstead, ANSM Museum Advisor
Enrolment Limits: 20 participants
- Role collections play in museums
- Essential policies and procedures for proper care, management and use of collections
- Acquisitions, documentation, handling, and deaccessioning
- Computerized records and online access
- Ethics, legal issues, tax receipts, insurance, and copyright.
The workshop format offers a combination of lecture, group discussion and exercises. Good collection management practices are the backbone of solid museum management. This workshop offers a comprehensive introduction to the main functions of managing a museum collection.
Having worked with museums in four provinces, Karin brings a combination of education and practical experience to the workshop, providing real-world examples to the discussions and exercises. You can read her bio on the ANSM website.
This workshop can be taken as part of the ANSM Museum Studies Program or on its own.
- ANSM Members: $100.00
- Non-Members: $150.00
- Registration Deadline: April 30, 2012
Registration opens January 15, 2012. To register, send a completed registration form with payment by cheque or money order to: Association of Nova Scotia Museums, 1113 Marginal Road, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3H 4P7
Workshop registration forms can be downloaded from the ANSM website Training section. Visit www.ansm.ns.ca